Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios has been banned from tennis after testing positive for cocaine.The 31-year-old submitted a sample while playing in Mallorca on June 22 that contained benzoylecgonine, a substance found in the class A drug.Kyrgios said he took ‘full responsibility’ for his mistake and was ‘deeply disappointed’ in himself.The Australian has been suspended since August 4, meaning he cannot play in, coach at, or attend any professional men’s or women’s tournament, including Grand Slams such as Wimbledon.Kyrgios can appeal against the provisional ban, which could see him face between three months and four years on the sidelines.His ban could also be reduced if he can prove that he did not take the substance for performance-enhancing benefits.The Australian was the runner-up at Wimbledon in 2022 – his only Grand Slam final to date – losing to Novak Djokovic but won the men’s doubles at the Australian Open in the same year.He has battled knee and wrist injuries in recent years that have seen him make limited appearances at major tournaments.Kyrgios, who was once the 13th highest-ranked player in the world, announced his suspension in a lengthy statement on Instagram today.The post read: ‘I wanted you to hear it from me first. I recently failed a drug test in Mallorca after testing positive for cocaine.’I made a huge mistake and I take full responsibility for it. ‘I am sorry to my fans, my family, my sponsors, and everyone close to me. Above all, I’m sorry to the kids who follow me. I know the example this sets and I’m deeply disappointed in myself. ‘I’m not going to make excuses, but I do want to give some context about where I’ve been. The last couple of years of injuries have taken a huge toll on me, both physically and mentally. My body hasn’t been able to do what my mind expects it to do, and coming to terms with being near the end of my career has been harder than I ever imagined. Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios has been banned from tennis after testing positive for cocaine The former world No 13 in Brisbane, Australia, in January… he has endured a series of disappointing seasons due to injuries ‘I’ve always said I didn’t choose tennis – tennis chose me. But letting go of something that has been my whole life is one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to face. At times I’ve felt helpless and alone. ‘None of that excuses what I did. ‘However, the good news is that this has given me a wake-up call. For the next 28 days, I’ll be stepping away from social media and public life while I focus on getting myself right. ‘I’d ask that people respect my privacy during that time, and most importantly the privacy of my family. ‘I’m sorry. I’ll do the work and come back better. Nick.’ Kyrgios played in Majorca at the Association of Tennis Professionals 250 event in late June, losing his singles match to fellow Australian Adam Walton in straight sets on June 22. He later withdrew from the doubles, where he and partner John-Patrick Smith had been due to play Austin Krajicek and Nikola Mektic the following day. The International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA), the sport’s anti-doping body, has since announced that Kyrgios has been handed a mandatory provisional suspension. A statement read: ‘The International Tennis Integrity Agency has provisionally suspended Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios under the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme. ‘Kyrgios provided a sample during an ATP 250 event in Mallorca, Spain, on June 22, 2026. On July 17, 2026, a World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)-accredited laboratory confirmed the presence of benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine.’Cocaine is a stimulant and substance of abuse on the WADA Prohibited List and is banned in competition under the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme. If taken out of competition, reduced sanctions apply for substances of abuse. Kyrgios was the runner-up at Wimbledon in 2022 – his only Grand Slam final to date – losing to Novak Djokovic’Because of the nature of the substance, a provisional suspension is mandatory and has been in place since August 4, 2026.’Kyrgios, who reached a career-high world singles ranking of 13 in October 2016, has the right to appeal the provisional suspension, but has not done so to date.’As with all Tennis Anti-Doping Programme cases, ITIA support is available to Kyrgios.’While suspended, Kyrgios is not allowed to play in, coach at, or attend any events organised or sanctioned by World Tennis, WTA, ATP, the Grand Slams, or any national association.’Before his suspension, Kyrgios’s appearances on the professional tour had been limited, with the Australian star only taking part in a clutch of events due to his ranking of 919. He has not won a singles match since last year’s Miami Open but has been offered wildcard entries at both singles and doubles events. Former British star Dan Evans was handed a one-year ban in 2017 after testing positive for cocaine at the Barcelona Open. The drug had been found in the pocked of his washbag but the International Tennis Federation accepted his explanation that he had been contaminated after the drug found its way onto his finger or medication in the bag accidentally. Kyrgios’s case represents the second high-profile anti-doping revelation in tennis in recent months, after 2023 Wimbledon champion Marketa Vondrousova was handed a four-year ban in June for refusing to take a drugs test.