MLB team make drastic decision on All-Star infielder after he went AWOL before game

The Arizona Diamondbacks are placing a superstar on the restricted list after he failed to show up at a scheduled game on Monday night.Arizona has placed second baseman Ketel Marte on the list for the second time in his career after his absence from a road game against the Boston Red Sox.The ‘restricted list’ designation is for players who are under contract but absent for personal, legal or non-baseball reasons. On this list, players are removed from the active roster and will not receive pay.Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo did not provide much information on the reason for Marte’s absence.However, he told reporters after the game on Monday that Marte had been dealing with a ‘personal matter,’ but the player was physically fine. He added that the designation comes after a lack of communication from Marte.’Very little [communication] this morning, this afternoon, I was just doing my best to reach out to him and there was very little coming back,’ the manager said. The Diamondbacks have placed Ketel Marte on the restricted list after an unexplained absence Team manager Torey Lovullo said Marte was physically fine but didn’t explain his absence This is the second time in two seasons that Marte has been placed on the restricted listAccording to Arizona Sports’ John Gambadoro, Marte had been seen at a hotel bar with a group of people around 11:00pm on Sunday evening. While AZCentral.com’s Nick Piecoro reported that Marte never arrived at Fenway Park prior to the game, the player posted on his Instagram story that he landed in Boston with the team Sunday evening. Team general manager Mike Hazen also told Piecoro that the player was believed to be in Boston as of Monday night, but he was unsure when the second baseman would return.The Diamondbacks announced Marte’s placement on the list 15 minutes before first pitch on Monday, adding that Jose Fernandez would be recalled from Triple-A Reno to fill his roster spot.Arizona placed Marte on the restricted list last year after his home in Arizona was burglarized and he had $400,000 worth of goods stolen.Marte had been subject to trade rumors earlier this season, but was not moved before the deadline. He is in the second year of a six-year, $105million deal. So far this season, Marte has 21 home runs and 67 RBIs with a batting average of .249 and an OPS of .760.