Luis Enrique’s blunt response to questions about two Liverpool targets after dropping the pair for Champions Trophy defeat

Paris Saint-Germain manager Luis Enrique frostily avoided questions about Liverpool targets Bradley Barcola and Ibrahim Mbaye after dropping both players for their Champions Trophy match on Sunday.Ligue 1 champions PSG were denied the chance to lift their fifth consecutive Champions Trophy title on Sunday, losing to Coupe de France winners Lens 1-0 at the the Stade Bollaert-Delelis.Barcola and Mbaye were both in the stands having been dropped for the contest by Enrique amid uncertainty over their futures in his side. They had been left as unused substitutes a few days prior, in their UEFA Super Cup victory over Aston Villa.Last week PSG have brought in Ferran Torres and Mika Godts, pushing the pair down the pecking order. Liverpool, who are actively seeking attacking reinforcements, are currently in talks with PSG about both players as Andoni Iraola prepares for his first season in charge at Anfield.In his post-match press conference, Enrique was asked about the decision to drop the duo from his squad and gave a short ‘Thank you, goodbye,’ before walking off.Later, when asked about their situation in the press room, Enrique told journalists: ‘I will speak about the transfer window when it is finished.’On Saturday, Enrique discussed his desire to ensure that every player in his environment ‘love’ playing for the club. In his post-match press conference, Enrique was asked about the decision to drop Liverpool targets Barcola and Mbaye and gave a short ‘Thank you, goodbye,’ before walking off Mbaye (left) and Barcola (right) were both unused substitutes a few days prior in PSG’s UEFA Super Cup victory over Aston Villa’We are a very young, very ambitious team,’ he said. ‘It is important for us to make changes and look for players who enjoy playing our way and who love playing for PSG. That is very clear to us.’When a player doesn’t want to come here, or doesn’t have a smile on their face about being here, it is better to find another solution.’Earlier in the summer Barcola, 23, indicated he did not wish to sign a new contract with the European champions. PSG value him at £140million, based on his age, potential and current market prices.Liverpool have been working to seek a compromise on that, with Barcola’s price reputed to have been closer to £75m when they first sounded out his representatives last summer. He has the skillset to suit Andoni Iraola’s style and can provide a serious goal threat. Mbaye meanwhile is an 18-year-old right winger who starred for Senegal at the World Cup, becomingthe youngest African scorer in tournament history when he netted a consolation against France. The 6ft 1in player has been at PSG since 2018 and made 33 appearances for the senior side, scoring four times. He represented France at youth level before pledging his international allegiance to Senegal in 2025.Mbaye would be a more natural fit to replace Mo Salah who has left Anfield for Trabzonspor, but much will depend on the asking price with PSG likely to ask for over £150m.Liverpool have signed only two senior players in this transfer window, with Salah not yet replaced on the right wing and defenders Andy Robertson and Ibrahima Konate both departing on free transfers.Victor Munoz has arrived from Osasuna, while Ronald Araujo has been signed on loan from Barcelona.Jeremy Jacquet was signed from Rennes in January, but has only recently joined up with his new team-mates after an injury-hit campaign. He returned yesterday for the first time since February 7, and scored on his debut in their final pre-season friendly against Como.